I am thrilled to announce my first AfroModern Quilts Masterclass will be hosted by Cultured Expressions, a fabulous shop and studio run by Lisa Shepard Stewart.
Here are the details:
DATE: May 29, 30 and 31, 2020
MasterClass Location: Gateway Family YMCA in Rahway NJ
Registration Fee: $495 per person includes personalized instruction by me; all retreat activities; evening receptions at the CE Studio; and a 10 piece African Fabrics Prints pack for your project.
[Travel and area Hotel information will be sent upon registration. ]
HERE is the registration form. Hurry–seats are limited! AfroModernMasterclass reg form
MasterClass AfroModern Focus Project and Techniques
Our focus project will be the AfromModern Improv Squares Quilt. Here’s a version of the quilt–and you will have lots of opportunity to create your very own unique version of this quilt.
In this MasterClass, you will explore:
- Principles of modern quilt design
- AfroModernism and quilt design–how to showcase African fabrics in a modern design
- Improvisational techniques with and without rulers
- Improvisational curved piecing–no pinning or templates involved
I will provide lots of hands on coaching during the MasterClass.
Overview of our schedule:
- We open the doors at 1 p.m. on Friday May 29, 2020 for sewing space setup. There will be an orientation to the AfroModern project and discussion of your fabric choices, followed by the Color and Value Workshop. Friday will end with a reception at the Cultured Expressions Studio (and optional shopping!).
- Saturday we will begin with AfroModern quilt samples, demos on curved piecing and demos on improv with and without rulers. We will spend most of the day actively sewing! Saturday evening we will have a special event.
- Sunday we continue our sewing time–and sharing what we are learning about making AfroModern quilts. We end with a final Show & Share and close our MasterClass at 3 p.m.
Supply lists will be sent upon registration.
Color and Value Workshop for Quilters
Color and value will be the focus of our Friday afternoon session for the MasterClass.
How’s your color and value confidence? Do you find yourself hesitating and second-guessing when selecting fabrics? Color choices can make or break our quilts’ impact. This fun, well-organized workshop may be one of the most helpful and empowering workshops you can take!
We have all used the color dots on the selvedge of a “focus fabric” to build a palette. Sometimes, that’s enough to give us a great start. But what if you don’t have a focus fabric? How can we build a palette with more confidence in our color and value choices?
As quilters, we need differences in value so that our fabric choices create the effect we want. In this fast-paced workshop, you will take part in several hands-on exercises that will help you understand color and different ways of achieving value. We will focus on how to see our fabrics better and how to add what we might need to make our quilt projects more vibrant and unique.
We will work together on several different hands-on practical exercises to help us see color and value in new ways that we can translate into our next quilt project. We will use glue sticks and scissors–no sewing needed for this part of our time together at the retreat.
Ready to Sign Up?
Click HERE to download the registration form. Hurry–seats are limited! AfroModernMasterclass reg form
Questions? contact Lisa [at] culturedexpressions [dot] com or click here for her contact form.