I recently completed my latest Maywood Studio Maker project. Here is a description of my process for making this wallhanging–it crosses over from modern into artquilting.
The new collection that all of the Makers worked with is called Nightfall. It is a Spring 2022 fabric collection that will be available in stores around mid-July. Nightfall is a three-color collection made up of prints that are blue, black, and cream. There are 24 prints in this collection that vary in scale and are a mix of florals and geometrics.
I decided to work with the blue, black and cream geometric called Lattice. Here are my 3 Nightfall fabrics. I also added a solid black from another Maywood Studio line and a dark blue mottled fabric from the ShadowPlay line.
I decided to create a project that would mix improv with a planned layout. I played with several ideas and finally settled on this layout as my starting point. It is a 4 patch grid with two identical blocks that mirror each other.
To create my improvisational segments, I created several 9 Patch blocks and then began fracturing them, using the process that I teach in Fractured Disappearing 9 Patch Workshops. (By the way, a fresh update of this workshop will be available as an ondemand class this Fall. Be sure to sign up for my Newsletter to get information on the launch!)
I also made two Parisian Curves blocks using the Fractured 9 Patch blocks. Here are the 4 blocks. I did not stick strictly to my EQ8 layout–the half-square triangle blocks are improvisationally pieced.
I was quite pleased with how complex the blocks looked in this 4 patch grid setting. The upper right and lower left blocks are pieced identically–using the same patch sizes for each block. However, with all of the improv piecing, that part of the grid sort of disappears!
Next, I decided to add borders. I played with several ideas, including pieced borders. I also decided to offset the 4 patch–so the 4 blocks do not meet up in the center like they do in my original sketch.
In the end, I decided to add simple borders. The inner border is solid black and the outer border is the blue ShadowPlay. I offset it a bit by making the outer borders irregular shapes–resulting in a slight tilt of the 4 blocks and first border. It’s a subtle tilt…next time, I think I will exaggerate the tilted effect. Also, I did not line up the 4 inner blocks so that they met in the center like my sketch. I offset the blocks a couple of inches.
I used a wool batting. I quilted it on my domestic Janome with my walking foot using a 50 wt. black thread and then adding additional lines with a 50 wt. cream thread. I tested several combinations of top and bottom threads on this small sample.
I mark my quilting lines with regular masking tape (cheapest brand I can find). I only leave it on while I am actually quilting.
Here is a closeup of some of the quilting.
I finished this piece with a faced binding. It measures 23″ x 26″. I love this design and I am sure I will come back to it in the future. This could be the start of a new series of geometric abstraction quilts!
Thanks as always to Maywood Studio for providing the fabric and giving me the opportunity to work with their new collections. Visit this post to find links to my fellow Makers.